Ingredients feeds 6-8 people
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet, white onion, chopped
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes,
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 64 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 pound cockle clams
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ pound salmon with the skin
Sweat the fennel, garlic, shallots and onions until tender and translucent, in olive oil
Add, white wine and simmer for 10 minutes
Add, crushed red peppers, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Then simmer for 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
30 minutes before you are going to serve your guests, take all of the fish out of the refrigerator.
The most important part of this stew is to NOT overcook the fish.
When you are ready to serve your guests, bring the broth up to a boil.
Season the fish with salt and pepper and add the fish to the broth.
Simmer the stew for approx., 6-8 minutes and then serve in bowls.
A crunchy sour dough bread for sopping up the broth.