This time of year, asparagus is bountiful in the stores and at the farmer’s market. This recipe for Cream of Asparagus Soup as delicious as it is easy to make. Even the kids will be happy!
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 bunches cleaned asparagus (save the tips and tie the stems together)
- 1.5 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup half & half (or heavy cream)
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- Place onion, potato, celery, and the tied bottoms of the asparagus in the pot, along with the vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the tied asparagus bottoms.
- Puree the mixture.
- In a separate pan, saute the asparagus in olive oil and season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add the sauted asparagus to the soup and finish with 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You are going to love this soup with a glass of dry white wine. Enjoy!