These scones are light and cheesy and just as delicious with scrambled eggs as they are when they are slathered with butter and raspberry jam. That can mean only one thing. Mrs. Z and the kids are all going to love them. They’re done in a snap and will be gone just as fast.
- 2 2/3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 T. ice cold butter
- 2 c. grated cheddar
- 2 T. chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 c. cold milk
- 3 large eggs
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating your oven to 400F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. For the best results, it is important that your butter be as cold as possible. I like to freeze my butter for at least a half hour and then grate it with a large box grater. You can then mix the grated butter into the dry ingredients and the briefly cut the butter in with a pastry cutter. You’ll be happy with the flaky results!
- Toss the grated cheese into the dry ingredients to coat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and chives.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. You’re hands may be the best tool for this.
- Dump the dough onto the counter and form into an 8-inch disk.
- Cut into 8 equal sections forming triangles and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400F oven for approximately 25 minutes.
Whether you serve them with creamy scrambled eggs and a glass of prosecco or slathered with butter and raspberry jam for the kids, these are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face!